4th Annual High Performance Computing Day at Lehigh
Friday, April 03, 2009
All Events at the Rauch Business Center (RBC), Lehigh University. Get directions.
- Come learn how to program Shared Memory Computers using OpenMP and MATLAB.
- Come learn about the ultra-large scale computing problems of Climate
- Come make recommendations to improve the ways Lehigh's HPC resources can
be used across different academic and research domains.
-- Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center Workshop --
The Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center will provide an overview of parallel computing and present the most common methods of progamming these types of machines, in particular MPI and OpenMP. For the MATLAB user community, there will be a special emphasis on StarP and parallel MATLAB. Attendees will be able to put these skills to immediate use on local platforms, or on the large NSF-funded platforms whose availability will be described.
Introduction to Using Shared Memory Programming Tools at Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
8:30am-12pm, RBC 51
- Introduction to PSC resources
- Introduction to using OpenMP programming
- Using Matlab in a parallel fashion using Parallel Compute Toolkit and StarP
Prerequisite for morning technical session requires a basic, introductory knowledge MATLAB (or some other mathematical modeling product) and of either C or Fortran language programming in a Unix environment.
-- Keynote Address --
-- High Performance Computing at Lehigh --
High Performance Computing at Lehigh
2:30pm - 4:45pm, RBC 85
- Open Forum and Panel Discussion on Effective Use of HPC Resources across Research Domains at Lehigh
- Professor Brian Davison, Chairperson HPC Steering Committee (Moderator)
- Professor Tamas Terlaky, George N. and Soteria Kledaras '87 Endowed Chair Professor and Department Chair, Industrial and Systems Engineering
- Dr. Richard Loft, Director of Technology Development, Office of the Computational and Information Systems Laboratory (CISL), National Center for Atmospheric Research
- John Urbanic, Staff Computational Science Consultant, Strategic Applications, Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
- Brandon Leeds, Senior Computing Consultant, High Performance Computing, Library and Technology Services
Afternoon presentations by Faculty on how they incorporate HPC facilities at Lehigh into their research.
- Benjamin Felzer, Assistant Professor , Department of Earth and Environmental Science, Lehigh University
Using a Beowulf Cluster for Earth System Modeling
- John Spletzer, Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Lehigh University
Applications of HPC to Real-time Autonomous Systems
There is no cost to attend but registration is requested for planning